The famous Glass House features half a million empty embalming fluid bottles used to build a curiously beautiful house. The house was begun in 1952 when the late David H. Brown retired after thirty-five years in the funeral business.
Starting the house 'to indulge a whim of a peculiar nature', the retired undertaker traveled western Canada collecting bottles from friends in the funeral profession to add to his own collection, until he had acquired half a million of the square shaped bottles, weighing 250 tons in all. The Glass House was meant to be the Brown's home, but the project attracted the curiosity of passers-by from the start. Finally, suffering from a complete lack of privacy, he employed a staff and allowed curious visitors to view his masterpiece.